Sunday 28 October 2012

My next challenge...

Trekking in Namibia

Last year I trekked through the Namib Desert, this year I climbed the highest free standing mountain in the world, what could be my challenge for 2013...?

I’m going to live in a jungle for three months with no wifi, no showers, no toilets, no drinking, no salt & vinegar crisps, the list goes on and on...I’ve been accepted as a Project Manager for a Raleigh International expedition in Borneo.

Having worked in the international development sector for over five years I am incredibly picky about which charities I will support. I chose Raleigh as I believe they make a lasting difference in the countries they work in. They work with local partners on sustainable projects such as securing clean water supplies for villages that had none or building kindergartens and providing teacher training so children have an access to early education. I don’t know the specific project I’ll be working on yet but I’m really looking forward to getting out to ‘the field’ and implementing some of the live saving and changing projects I’ve fundraised for over the years.

Raleigh volunteers in Borneo
Raleigh works with volunteers aged 17 to 24 to develop key life skills and confidence while making a difference to the world. Some of the volunteers will be from Borneo and some from disadvantaged backgrounds in the UK who are on a bursary programme, others will be taking a gap year before or after university. Supporting the development of the young people taking part in the project will be my main responsibility in Borneo.

The main challenge I face before I leave is fundraising. Even in a management position I have to raise £1,950 to take part in the expedition. This is in addition to paying for my own flights, vaccines, equipment, first aid training and all of the other costs associated with moving to Borneo for three months.

Cake bake!
I have been overwhelmed at people’s generosity, kindness and support. Donations to my online fundraising page have come from far and wide including very generous donations from my cousins in Canada who I haven’t seen in 20 years (has it really been that long...?!) Thank you to everyone who has donated. I’ve fundraised for VSO and UNICEF recently so I’m really touched my wonderful friends, family and colleagues are still willing to put their hands in their pocket and donate to yet another good cause.

Cake bakes are one of my favourite fundraising mechanisms and with 110 free cupcakes from Hummingbird Bakery and baking support from some of my lovely colleagues I raised £169 selling delicious goodies in the office.

More office fundraising and a jumble sale last week has raised over £200 with a few IOUs still to come.

Auction flyer
As well as the generosity of friends I have also been really grateful for the support of a couple of caring businesses. Handpicked Hotels have donated a nights bed and breakfast with an evening meal and wine for two at one of their beautiful country hotels. The Knightsbridge branch of Venture Photography  has donated a family photography shoot with £400 to spend on the images. I’m auctioning these fantastic prizes to help me reach my target. There’s still time to bid – all you need to do is email me (alyrenerosser@hotmail.com) with your bid by 7pm on 16th November. (If you are outbid before then I’ll email you straight away to let you know.)

If anyone would like to make a donation directly then please visit my fundraising page

Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me in my next challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment